SUBDIVISION OF RARE BOOKS & MANUSCRIPTS
(MUSEUM OF BOOK) of THE STATE PUBLIC
SCIENTIFIC LIBRARY of S B R A S
General Information about the Subdivision
The fund numbers 37.037 deposited units (for 01.01.98).
Number of workers - 5.
The occupied areas (reading and exposition room, depositories and working areas) - 554 sq.m.
Restoration facilities - about 100 pages per year.
- guard signalling - electronic system of Ministry of Internal Affairs;
- exposition equipment - glass show-cases with the possibility of lightening, show tables
- depositorial equipment - standard opened metallic library two-sided shelves.
Binding - the possibility of only mass current binding.
Average annual number of visits - more than 4 000.
Average annual book issue - about 16 500 copies.
The number of annual exhibitions, stationary and mobile - not less than 5.
Fund reference facilities - readers' catalogues, work card-indexes; the descriptions and reveiws of some parts of the fund have been published.
Publications - 2 titles of periodicals, published in average once a year
- In the Subdivision of Rare Books and Manuscripts of the State Public Scientific Library of the Siberian Branch of RAS more than 20 thousands of rarities are accumulated. The subdivision collection of ancient Russian books is one of the biggest in
Russia, beyond the borders of Moscow and Sanct-Petersburg; it includes the wonderful collection of prominent Russian historian, academician M.N.Tikhomirov, presented to the Siberian Branch in 1965, along with hundreds of unique manuscripts and
ancient printed books, brought from the remote districts of Siberia and the Far East by archeographic expeditions, in which the library participates since 1965.
- During decades of search work, in SPSL SB RAS an outstanding collection of Russian manuscript and printed book antiquities of the •V-•• centuries was formed. It includes, to begin with, the manuscripts, which bear a lot of literature and historic
works of Ancient Russia in the manuscript tradition of the XV-XIX centuries (Prology, Chronografy of •VII century., Chetyi Mineyi, Pateriki etc.). To the above mentioned, a fair amount of liturgy manuscripts and text collections of XVI-XX centuries of
dogmatic and spiritual and moral character (Gospel, Apostol, Psalter, Chasovnik(Chasoslov), Sluzhebnyi Mineyi, Ustavy, Trebniki, Triodi, Irmologij, Oktoikh Sborniki slov i pouchenij Ioanna Zlatousta, Vasiliya Velikogo , Grigorya Nazianzina and other
Fathers and tutors of the Church, Lestvitsa Ioanna Sinajskogo, phylosophic treatise "O nebesnykh Ijerarkhyakh" by Dionisij Areopagite, Pandekty Nikona Chernogortsa etc.), together with the works of the old-believer writers, various chetyi and
polemic collections of the late manuscript tradition are to be added. An essential part of the Slav-Russian books, which existed in Siberia and today are deposited in SPSL SB RAS, is represented by printed matters: beginning with real masterpieces
of Russian book-printing - the production of Ivan Federov and Petr Mstyslavets printing-houses, - and finishing with the later reprints and original works of old-believers' printing-houses in Souprasl, Pochayevo, Moscow, Uralsk, Vyatka (Tushki
village), represent almost without lacks four centuries of cyrillic tradition in Russian book publishing.
- The formed collection represents an "alive section" of a great book corpus, which until now is actively used in the old-believers' communities of Siberia and the Far East. It is not an occasional set of books and manuscripts, successfully obtained
during the tours throughout Siberian cities and villages, allowing to tell only about separate findings, such "paragons" as Sbornik so Skazaniyem o Mamayevom poboishte Prosvetitelya Iosifa Volotskogo, Sbornik s Soudmym spiskom by Makxim Grek or
unknown copies by Fedorov and Mstyslavets, Timofej and Andronik Nevezha, Vasilij Bourtsov, Iosif Kirillov and Kondratij Ivanov. The contemporary degree of investigation of the whole complex of book materials, carried from expeditions, allows to make
the conclusion about sufficiently precise reflection of the stable character of the old-believers' community and private libraries in the collection.
Manuscripts and printed books are united into collections, according to the region of their existence - Tomskaya, Zabajkalskaya, Altajskaya, Krasnoyarskaya, Far East collections, as well as the Collection of Recent Acqisitions. They do not just unite various manuscript and printed antiquities, but bear the traces of their migration through Siberia, give the necessary materials on the history of Russian book dissemination in Siberia, the history of
Siberian libraries of the XVII- XIX centuries. The value of this part of the collection consists not only of the preciousness of each edition (among which there are real jewels of books), but also
in the fact that these ancient books, being in habit in Siberia, incarnate descriptively the high level of spiritual culture of our ancestors, developing the spaces of East of Russia.
- It is also evidenced by some other collections of Subdivision - civil printed books of the XVIII century, editions of the XIX-XX centuries, which had played and outstanding role in mental life of Russian society. We have to mark specially the collection of life-time editions of the classics of Russian literature. Besides, the Museum of Book possesses a significant collection of West European printed books of the XV-XX centuries.
The Subdivision doesn't limit its functions by traditional library work, but also leads scientific and co-ordinating work in the field of description and publication of manuscripts, old printed and rare books, deposited in the libraries, museums and
archives of Siberia and the Far East. At recent time, a number of descriptions in the form of individual books and publications was printed. The next stage of the work assumes the creation of collated catalogue of such materials, which would exist not only in traditional printed form, but also as an electronic data base.
- The main value of any collection, any museum is represented by original exhibits; the rich history of completing of the all-library fund of SPSL SB RAS, as well as that of the specialized
fund of rare books and manuscripts in the past, along with some contemporary possibilities of obtaining of books created the grounds for successful formation and functioning of Museum of Book on the base of the fund.